Thursday, April 5, 2012

Learning Cursive - Day 96


I am kind of a bit old-fashioned it turns out. I am actually teaching my kids cursive! I have to be honest, that I pondered not bothering, since after all - almost everyone uses a computer these days anyway, right? But then I realized that it was something that would soon be a lost art, and I wanted them to know it. My first daughter clicked on it right away, and LOVED it! It was a struggle for her if she had to NOT write in cursive! My second however...well, let's just say it has been a bit more of a challenge to learn. But she is learning, and working hard at it, and I am proud of her! Sometimes I get impatient, but then I remember how hard it can be to master a new skill - yet how worth it in the long run!


“When a child is learning to write, it is extremely easy for it to hold the pen wrongly, and to form its letters incorrectly, but it is painfully difficult to hold the pen and to write properly; and this because of the child’s ignorance of the art of writing, which can only be dispelled by persistent effort and practice, until at last, it becomes natural and easy to hold the pen properly, and to write correctly, and difficult, as well as altogether unnecessary, to do the wrong thing. It is the same in the vital things of mind and life.”   James Allen


No comments:

Post a Comment