Sunday, May 20, 2012

Strawberry Blossoms - Day 141


I love fresh fruits and vegetables, but I have to admit - I do have a special preference for fruits usually! As much as I love picking a carrot out of the garden, can that really compare to a fresh and ripe strawberry? This year, thanks to a kind friend, I have a bunch of little strawberry starts in my hanging baskets - and am delighted to see little blossoms springing up all over them! I am especially grateful that, unlike say an apple blossom, strawberry blossoms don't make you wait long after they blossom to enjoy their goodness. Not that the apple isn't worth the wait! But I'm glad the lowly strawberry does its work quickly! I can almost taste them already (or I might if my kids don't beat me to all of them!)


 “This special feeling toward s fruit, its glory and abundance, is I would say universal…We respond to strawberry fields or cherry orchards with a delight that a cabbage patch or even an elegant vegetable garden cannot provoke.”   Jane Grigson


No comments:

Post a Comment